Tuesday, March 6, 2012

The Melting Pot

October 28th, 2011

Date #3
I had no idea where we were going for date night tonight until we were almost at the doorstep; I saw the brick below my feet saying The Melting Pot and became instantly happy. I have always wanted to go but never had the opportunity.
Fondue brings up many special memories from my childhood. My mom would have a fondue every once in a while, I remember the colors of the forks, 70’s hippy colors of yellows, oranges, and browns and the oil popping when cooking the meat. I thought we were so lucky to have a fondue for dinner.
For my high school senior project in food science class my partner and I made a fondue for our favorite teacher. I don’t remember the teacher or my partner, but I do remember what the table looked like with the fondue pot sitting atop the table. 


    Photo: http://www.meltingpot.com/portland/specials
SW Sixth and Main Street
Portland, OR 97204
503-517-8960
We started out with the Spinach Artichoke Cheese fondue with Fontina and Butterkase cheeses. We enjoyed this fondue so much that I wanted to make this recipe at home.  I found the recipe and both cheeses, which ended up being quite the task; we had to go all the way to Canada to find Butterkase. Good thing we were there on vacation and not an international trip just for cheese…that would be a bit crazy.

Next on the menu was the main course which included the Court Bouillon broth for cooking our steak, seafood, and vegetables.

      Photo: http://www.meltingpot.com/              
 
The final course was a milk chocolate fondue with fruit, cake, donuts, marshmallows, and brownies to dip. We were so full by this time, but it didn’t matter, it tasted amazing and was the best part of the entire meal. My favorite dipper was the bananas, warm milk chocolate and banana…WOW! 


     Photo: http://www.meltingpot.com/
The entire date was incredible; my husband for picking the restaurant and being a great dinner companion, the waiter for explaining everything to us and leaving us alone to experience all the wonderful tastes, and the food. 


 




No comments:

Post a Comment