Sunday, April 29, 2012

Nichola's Restaurant

April 27, 2012

Date #29

Chuck’s turn! We head towards downtown Portland to Nicholas’s Restaurant; it's fresh Lebanese food. It’s located on Grand Avenue right beside one of Chuck’s favorite places Andy & Bax a military surplus store. There was a line up outside, but we had seen this before so we added our name to the list and stood under a tree to wait. 






Now if you know my husband he always sees someone he thinks he knows when we are out, this night was no different. He told me that guy looks so familiar but I don’t know where I know him from. So reluctantly, I turn around to see if I recognize him, and I did but I thought it was someone famous and Chuck agreed. While we were waiting and talking, I turned around occasionally to take another look, I would almost figure it out, and then lose it. A group of girls were finally called to their table and we were able to move closer to the restaurant and under a heater, but most importantly closer to this guy. Yes, I admit it I was eavesdropping on their conversation, but it was because I wanted to figure out who he was…and there it was, the word I was waiting for…”Big Foot” and it all came pouring in, he is Cliff from the show Finding Big Foot on the Animal Planet. It was fun to see Chuck figure it out about 7 seconds after me, his facial expression was priceless, and once he did, he went over and told him he enjoyed his show. Cliff thanked him, said they were on a two-week break, and had just completed a taping in Arizona.  I was too shy to say anything, but I also wanted to give him his privacy.
After quite a long wait, we were sat at a table by the window in a very small packed restaurant, although we didn’t feel crowded. We were served an extremely large, freshly out of the oven, pita bread with an amazing dip made from olive oil and spices. We also ordered humus to go with the pita bread, this is the best humus I have ever had, creamy smooth and garlicy.













We had a wonderful salad made with different types of lettuce, red onion, cucumber, and dressed with their house dressing. The dressing reminded me of tahiki sauce, SO good.
I ordered vegetable kababs made with fresh zucchini, tomatoes, onions, potato, mushroom, clove of garlic, and red pepper roasted in Middle Eastern spices and plated atop a bed of jasmine saffron rice with a side of toum (creamy garlic sauce). The vegetables were fresh and roasted perfectly in the spices, I’m not sure what they spices were, but they were very tasty. The toum may be the best thing I have ever tasted, GARLIC creaminess, YUM!
 












Chuck ordered lamb kababs, fresh lamb cuts mixed with onions, parsley, tomatoes, and their secret spices, this also came atop a bed of jasmine saffron rice with toum.  The meat was tender and spiced just right.
The meals were huge, enough for lunch the next day, yummy!
This was such a good evening. Not only did I try Lebanese food for the first time and loved it, but we got to meet a guy from one of the shows we watch. Don’t know if I can say it’s my favorite show, but I do like watching them look for “Squatchs”.

No comments:

Post a Comment