Monday, January 28, 2013

La Cerreta Mexican Restaurant

January 18, 2013

Date #67

We started our night out by driving towards downtown Portland, as we got closer Chuck asked me if I knew how to get to the Ross Island bridge. Unfortunately, this is not one of the areas of Portland that I know well, so we had to follow the signs on the I-5. The problem with going over this particular bridge tonight was another popular bridge, the Sellwood bridge, was closed because it is being rebuild due to its age, and bad bridge rating of 1 out of 100, yikes! And we didn’t know an alternate route to the Ross Island bridge, so we had to stay where we were, and it took about 30 minutes to cross, not too bad. We finally got to the other side of the river and found La Carreta Mexican restaurant, yummy my favorite ethnicity.

This is a very old building, and I am told the restaurant has been there for ages. We were taken upstairs to a banquet/bar room with plenty of tables and people, and were presented chip and salsa, my favorite appetizer. I think the most exciting part of going to a new Mexican restaurant is tasting the salsa to see if we like it. I love mild chunky salsa, and this was it, just a bit spicy and plenty of veggies, so good! A mariachi band consisting of 3 very small men came by to sing us a song, it was something about a beautiful diamond. It was fun, but also a bit embarrassing to have everyone in the restaurant looking at us. 













I ordered my new favorite Mexican dish chili relleno, it came with rice and beans, and a cabbage salad. The chili relleno was heavily breaded which wasn’t that tasty, but it was easy to remove the breading and just eat the chili, egg, and cheese. It was very good, and the red sauce complemented it nicely. The rice and beans were excellent as well, the plate was very large, and I wasn’t able to finish all the food.













Chuck order a combination dish of a taco, tamale, and enchilada, and rice and beans. The taco was placed in the enchilada sauce so it was a bit soggy, but the taste was great. He could tell the meat had been simmering all day long, so soft and flavorful. The tamale tasted very good, but the meat was too big and chunky, would have tasted much better with the taco meat. He agreed with me that both the rice and beans were very tasty.









Really good restaurant, we both commented that we should bring our parents here on their next visit, this place was pretty authentic, not Phoenix, but great for Portland. Great find Chuck!

No comments:

Post a Comment